Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day 7- Los Arcos to Viana

Thank you everyone for your suggestions we are currently reviewing them and will try and post photos´s to mark the milestones in the future.
Another 20km down the pipe today but some of the toughest we have encountered. Not because of the distance or the terrain, but some days the body just won´t respond. My toe is getting increasingly worse and as such I feel excrutiating pain for the first 30min of each morning until the blood really gets pumping. Not much skin left on my toe these days. Have tried everything possible but it really is the result of my shoes.
The weather was wet overnight and unfortunatley we encountered a great deal of mud on todays walk- this made things all the more difficult. We are currently averaging around 5km an hour but today it was much less. The stupid thing is if we followed the road we would have had a much more comfortable walk. Despite the difficulties of today we remain bouyant and are really enjoying ourselves.
Yesterday we passed a winery at 8am which had a pilgrims fountain of wine. Couldnt resist the lure of free wine so we got on the gas. Perhaps this has something to do with yesterday´s walk being so comfortable. Sahra had been looking forward to the wine fountain before we started the walk so I´m not sure what her motivation is now.
Currently in the town of Viana. It is 3.50pm and we arrived at around 1.00pm. The Spanish GP is on the TV and we have just had a nice walk around the town but alas there are no bridges to fall asleep under. Did find a bar and it seems our luck is changing- pulled out 50 euros from a pokie which is not a bad return from a 1 euro investment. We didn´t understand a lick as it was all in Spanish but there were a lot of bells, lights and whistles so thats always good. Maybe I should write a book- ´Europe on 50 euros a day- assuming you win it on a pokie´.

Adios...... Special Birthday wishes to Amanda and Alysha.

2 comments:

  1. It may be more comfortable- but your pilgrimage will be more satisfying by following the shell. El que la sigue, la consigue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for our birthday wishes. We had a very busy couple of days (as usual) but now I get a break until Liam's. Hope you are both keeping well & enjoying yourselves (apart from the weather & toe problem).

    The wine fountain sounds pretty good. How do I get myself one for my yard? Maybe you could bring me 1 back in your luggage(hehe). Yes my children do drive me to want to drink somedays.

    Anyway I better go I am off to do my volunteering at the mothers day stall at school.

    All our love to you both & keep safe.

    Amanda, Ben, Alysha & Liam

    ReplyDelete